Say goodbye to high heels, tailored blazers and fine fabrics at airports, as the days when dressing up for flights are long gone, according to research from the travel website Expedia.co.uk.
The Passenger Preferences global study, which questioned more than 11,000 travellers, has revealed that Britons’ desire for comfort while flying also extends to outfits, with the majority ditching travel chic for slouchy airport style.
In fact, 88% of Brits say they prefer to dress down when jumping on a flight, taking inspiration from the likes of Cara Delevingne, Alessandra Ambrosio and Dakota Johnson who embrace the ‘kick-back’ look.
Surprisingly only 9% of the French, usually renowned for their sense of style, admitted to dressing up for a flight – placing them among the least likely to care about looking fashionable with travellers from Taiwan (3%), Hong Kong (5%) and China (6%).
In contrast to the comfy airport style, the most fashion-conscious flyers are travellers from Thailand, Mexico and Norway, where one fifth think dressing stylish is more important than comfort.
When it comes to packing, Brits like to travel light and are among the least likely nations to check in a luggage if not necessary. 42% of British passengers will only bring a carry-on suitcase on a plane if going on a trip that is less than a week, third behind China (52%) and USA (44%).
The perfect travel outfit depends on destination and haul, but despite a flavour for a light luggage and comfortable clothing, the experts at Expedia have come up with some helpful tips on how to stay comfy yet look stylish when travelling:
- -Summer is here, so take the opportunity to wear a pair of cute, open toed sandals – with or without heel – without the risk of hurting your feet
- -Go bolder with hair and make up as you can rest assured you will still look chic and polished when you exit the flight. A slick back ponytail, flushed cheeks and a hot pink lipstick will get you the A-lister look
- -A loose blouse and relaxed blazer is the perfect match between comfy and chic
- -For a short-haul flight, those skinny black jeans are still a good idea and won’t feel too uncomfortable
- -In terms of hair style, try long, loose curls which still hold after a 4-hour flight
- -This is the perfect opportunity to wear the slightly oversized, white shirt. Wear together with a leather jacket to make a final statement
- -Go for the ripped jeans or loose fitted trousers that will not only keep you comfortable, but also on trend
- -Whether you’re flying long haul or short haul, picking the right shoes is always tricky. When in doubt, opt for a pair of slip-on trainers or classic ballet flats – forever chic and easy to slip on and off at airport security
6-hour flight or longer
- -On a long-haul flight, hair and make up can’t be as prominent. Instead, go for a loose French braid and don’t forget to bring lip balm and a moisture spray
- -Keep it casual but cool with a white or grey tee. Bring a scarf and drape a long sweater over your shoulders to keep you warm throughout the flight
- -As you’re legs and feet are likely to swell, wear a pair of cocktail trousers rather than tight jeans – your legs will be thanking you both when curling up in the seat and upon arrival
For more information, please contact Expedia Press Office on 0203 668 6910 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Notes to editors
The study was conducted online by Northstar, a globally integrated strategic insights consulting firm, between December 11-29, 2015. 11,026 adults, who have flown on an airplane in the past two years, from across 22 countries were questioned.
Additional insight on the Expedia Passenger Preferences Index can be found at Expedia’s Viewfinder blog.
Expedia® is one of the world's leading full-service online travel agents offering access to hundreds of thousands of hotels including boutique hotels as well as major hotel brand names and access to over 400 airlines along with a wide selection of car hire and destination experiences. By combining choice with specialist tools to help refine these options, Expedia.co.uk helps travellers to find and create the trip that best matches their individual requirements. Now with the award-winning Expedia mobile app you can plan and book flights and hotels on the move. The Expedia app offers helpful tools to manage your trip including: airport terminal maps; hotel check out time and flight status notifications; maps to your hotel and a host of other features. Expedia.co.uk partners with loyalty programme Nectar in the UK enabling its customers to collect 200 Nectar points on flight only, hotel or car hire bookings and 1000 points on package purchases through www.expedia.co.uk.
For travel inspiration and tips visit our Facebook page www.facebook.com/expedia.co.uk
Expedia.co.uk is owned and operated by Expedia Inc.. The company delivers consumers value in leisure and business travel, drives incremental demand and direct bookings to travel suppliers, and provides advertisers the opportunity to reach a highly valuable audience of in-market travel consumers through Expedia Media Solutions. Expedia also powers bookings for some of the world's leading airlines and hotels, top consumer brands, high traffic websites, and thousands of active affiliates through Expedia(r) Affiliate Network. (NASDAQ: EXPE) For corporate and industry news and views, visit us at www.expediainc.com or follow us on Twitter @expediainc. Trademarks and logos are the property of their respective owners. (c) 2016 Expedia, Inc. All rights reserved. CST: 2029030-50