BERLIN – BEYOND THE WALL
BERLIN – BEYOND THE WALL
- Expedia.co.uk shares insider tips for winter visits to the German capital -
16th November 2011:Berlin has proven itself to be a hugely popular city since it’s re-birth 20 years ago. Teeming with galleries, opera, art and gourmet eateries, there’s more to the city than just a wall and visitors are sure to find something to suit their taste and budget. With its renowned Christmas markets (Nov 22 – Dec 21), Fashion Week (Jan 18 – 23) and Contemporary Music Festival (March 18 – 27) just around the corner, Berlin is the perfect destination to visit over the festive season and to start your new year in 2012.
To make your Euros go even further in one of the city’s many vintage markets or cafes, Expedia.co.uk is offering up to 40% off trips to Berlin booked by 27th November and taken before the 31st March 2012. Last year, Expedia saved its UK customers, who booked a hotel & flight together, a total of £33 million so it is well worth visiting the site to find your own amazing deal to Berlin or beyond.
Insider top tips for visiting Berlin
Visitors to Berlin are spoilt with choice on what to do; whether it’s visiting the city’s infamous Berlin Wall or taking part in a jogging tour of the city; there is an itinerary to suit every taste. But what do Berliners get up to in the German capital? What hidden gems didn’t make it into the guidebooks? Here, the Berlin destination experts for Expedia.co.uk offer their insider tips on making the most of the city:
- To get around the city like a local, hire a bike instead of using the underground or taxis – the city is one of the most bike-friendly in the world. Head to www.expedia.co.ukto book a guided bike tour of the city
- For a spot of celeb spotting, head to Borchardts for schnitzel. Situated close to Gendarmenmarkt, there is usually at least one celebrity to be seen there. Alternatively, visit during Berlin Fashion Week on 18th-23rd January and you may even catch a glimpse of a supermodel up close!
- For an alternative to the highstreet whenChristmas shopping, head to the city’s Christmas Market, which runs from the 21st of November to 22nd December, for unusual gifts and food
- For fine dining in Berlin, head to Solar Lounge – set 15 stories above the city, you can enjoy delicious food and wine while looking out over the stunning city skyline
- For a funnight out with the locals, head to Berghain in the Friedrichshain district. It was named one of the best clubs in the world by DJ Magazine. Be warned though, the bouncers run a very strict door policy, so dress to impress!
- To experience Germany's latest trend’ sightjogging’ which combines sightseeing with jogging to see Berlin’s best sights on the go and exercise at the same time, visit www.expedia.co.uk.Or, for inspiration on another unique way to discover the city, visit www.youtube.com/ExpediaUKto watch a video on an exclusive tour of the best ping pong tables in Berlin. Oliver Miller, 38, ping-pong addict and owner of Dr Pong (a late-night bar with its own table and table tennis acolytes) comments ‘You can discover the city through table tennis.’ He explains ‘Every neighbourhood has its own table, it’s where you see the real locals’
Spend a Sunday morning at brunch. The best one in town is served at Restaurant 12 Apostel in Charolttenburg
- Alternative City Tour - discover the Berlin’s sub-cultures, learn about the squats and graffiti art that became part of the area's distinct style; understand how this culture moved East after the fall of the Berlin Wall and clash that arose between the counterculture and corporate expansion.
- Spreearche: a bit in the outskirts: pass through the Spreeetunnel in Friedrichshagen, turn right, ring the bell after 300 metres and wait for the boatman to pick you up - lunch here can be an event: the restaurant is in a floating wooden house, the fish is fresh without any pretension
- To make the most of yourtime in Berlin, head to www.expedia.co.ukto buy a Berlin Welcome Card, which will give you queue jump passes and discounts at over 200 attractions
As well as these top tips, designed to inspire travellers to try something a little different, Expedia.co.uk has produced an exclusive series of videos, created by locals, which provide inspiration on ways to experience the world’s most popular cities in a totally new way. Sports enthusiasts looking for something a little different to do while in the German capital should head to www.youtube.com/ExpediaUKfor inspiration on taking part in the latest trend to hit the city; table tennis.
Andy Washington, Managing Director for Expedia in the UK & Ireland, says; “There is so much to see and do in Berlin and, with winter upon us, now is the best time to visit. Whether you’re hunting for a bargain at the famous Berlin Christmas markets, checking out Berlin’s counterculture scene or watching jesters, witches and clowns fill the street at the annual Berlin Carnival parade, Berlin caters for all tastes. At Expedia.co.uk we’re powered by people who travel, so we’ve created the Expedia People Shaped Travel video series to share our insights with our customers. We hope our tips and videos will inspire people to travel and uncover a more personal experience of the city.”
To book your trip to Berlin head to http://www.expedia.co.ukby 27th November and take advantage of the promotion. Travel must be made before 31st March 2012.